Wednesday, January 3, 2018

"QUEST BORN" continued: Hunting for Health

Reader,

You might've read my last post on how I first got interested in hunting. It was from a podcast and later a television program on Netflix. I can't say I went from "zero" to interested by consuming some media but I definately inspired me to take action. You see, if you're curious about something you can think it over, you can plan, you can even dabble in spending some money but you should ask yourself, "Where do I want to go with this?" and "How am I going to get there?"

For me the answer to the first question is, "I'd like to have a plate of venison in front of me which I harvested as soon as possible." Earlier this year the answer to the second question was, "I dunno."

Why did I want the "plate" I mentioned? I've been thinking a lot about how we raise our animals and how we treat them. Most people I tell I want to hunt recoil at the "cruelty" of killing a wild animal. You must draw your own conclusion but is it more cruel to take your own animal or to sponsor an animal to be raised in a cage in a "factory" setting? Buying meat at a store is still an animal and money spent there goes towards the cost of the feed, antibiotics, slaughterhouse, packaging and transport of that meat. There are more concerns today about not only animal welfare but the condition of the animal: what antibiotics or hormones were used? Why is grass fed considered by some to be better than corn fed? What is organic vs. conventional? I like to enjoy my food and the thought of an animal raised on wild plants and acorns and no pharmaceuticals appeals to me. Will the flavor be very different? Harvesting my own meat will be messier than buying a plastic square of ground beef but in a way you are accountable for the treatment of the animal and I bet you have more respect for the animal and the meal.

You could argue, "If you are concerned about animals why not go Vegan?"  To that my answer is, "because I enjoy meat and would like to eat it."  It's not easy in the USA to find a balanced diet since we have created a system to feed 300 million people as cheaply as possible. More and more evidence is emerging that a diet in animal or saturated fats isn't as unhealthy as we once thought.  The current trend to is try to avoid wheat, glutens, sugars, glucose. Of course I'm happy to hear some people are vegans - that can only mean less animal cruelty in the world.  Some vegans might imagine a bloodbath of meat every day but cutting down on meats and using wild game has to be better for health than buying meat at the grocery to eat for every meal.

Last blog post I talked about a good friend I have who let me borrow some bows. I got pretty good at the recurve in a few months. The summer of 2017 was ending and deer season was approaching. I wanted a compound bow and my friend steered me to XSPOT archery in North Attleboro. The owner, Al, helped me set up a new bow and sight it in. It is incredible for a novice to hit a bullseye at 40 yds. At that distance you can hardly see the arrow in the target!  With the mechanical release from True Fire I just flick a finger and the string releases with no sideways motion or rolling off the fingers.   There is a sight where you put a little dot on your target and just let the arrow fly! It's very exciting and a worthwhile outdoor activity even if you have no interest in hunting.

I was eligible for hunting season this year. I had a bow and all supplies. With only a few weeks practice I didn't want to "practice" on a live deer, make a bad shot and have the animal suffer. As hard as it was I took a pass on 2017 and look forward to 2018 to enter this new sport. I did take my free hunter education course through the State of Massachusetts. It was great. I will be buying my hunting license for 2018.  Are you interested in hunting but never hunted before? Go take a free class! I'm buying! Funds come from hunting licenses so it's free to you: https://www.mass.gov/massachusetts-hunter-education-program

Well, my lunch break is over. I'll be talking about some other aspects of how I'm getting into hunting in outer posts. If you've enjoyed this go back and read my other posts and please subscribe to my blog to get updates when I post them. I'll be back with news soon enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment